1 Tim 2:2 I exhort therefore, first of all, that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and for all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
The Singapore opposition lost badly with the overall Government share of votes increasing from 62 to 70%.
We have love singapore/FCBC strongly hinting who they are supporting and also warning all parties who dare to support GLBT issues. Surely, no government can introduce policies without majority support. But playing with the Roman Ceaser is not blibical.
There are a number of factors for the great win.
- GE11 was a protest vote on the issues of transport, immigration, housing which the Government took active steps to address. They shifted slightly to the left from a harsh pragmatism and became more human.
- SG50 and the Passing of LKY gave Singapore a time for reflection and gratitude. This was further emphasised and contrasted by the economic and political issues in Malaysia. The 1Mdb and the falling ringget gave cause of shopping gratitude.
- The antagonists stole the show. Roy ngerng CPF half truths had a good run until it self destruct by gate crashing a charity event. Amos Yee though a kid was so rude and arrogant that he made the oldies love LKY more. The opposition were silent hiding behind the two kids.
- No army. City Havest made Singapore a harvest field because it had an army of helpers and volunters. The opposition were quiet in parliament, appears once a while in the wards.
- No unity and cant keep house in order. The opposition wards were at times poorly managed with self interested parties giving contracts to themselves with good profit. There was no unity in who to run for the wards.
And finally the news of haze by neighbouring Indonesia exercising their big brotherly right to pollute the air again emphasised that Singapore was a small dot. Are we to thank them for 11 months of fresh air? We had nothing except for people and the large sovereign fund which the opposition said they will use to pay a welfare state.
The news of ISIS invading large area of the middle east with religious motives gave reflection of their similar intent in South East Asia. Hence justifying the existence of a strong defence force whereas the opposition had wanted deep cuts.
Some of my liberal christians friends have commented that the large win was due to Singaporeans having short term vision, not thinking and fearful. This is demeaning. Perhaps they need reminding that Obama overspent 8 trillion during his two terms. But MAS don’t print money.
God has blessed Singapore with a great government maintaining rule and order, security and prosperity for all in many ways of jobs, housing, health and education. They deserved to win handsomely. But greater blessings will come when we have justice and fairness for one and all that the weak may say i am strong.