1 Peter 5:6 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time,7 casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. 8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. 10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you. 11 To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
The overblown reaction by the National Council of Churches Singapore and the Catholic Church to the HFB FAQ following the continuous stirring by Pastor Lawrence Khong of FCBC makes it a hot button issue as if gays were the greatest threat to family and morality. This is when:-
- Thousands of babies are aborted by straight parents
- Massive heterosexual red light district such as Geylang prosper without protest from Christian groups
- We have the two top casinos in Asia
- Abominations of idol worship prevails in every corner and high places
Justifying the threat from a self imagined gay aggenda, the churches have effectively unite themselves to a common anti-gay cause using the buzzword of “family” and “shared morality” as the made up reasons.
The majority is the world, and the Christian Church is asked to be separate, to be holy and righteous apart from the world system and religions.
Instead of being separate, it tries to change the world by coming against the least of the despised minorities whilst not tackling the immorality of the world!
All the sins of mainstream Singapore are effectively put on the gentle lamb to be slaughtered to make the “conservative” heartlands clean!
The action of the church is extreme and one would need to leverage on pseudo science and spin half truths and peddle lies of the harm caused in order to justify the anti-gay crusade. All this in the name of Jesus Himself.
Could it be an attack by the evil one:-
- To blaspheme the name of Jesus which is represented by the church. When the church does evil and harm, the name of Jesus is being maligned
- To undermine the prophecy of Singapore being the Antioch of Asia using the twin temptations of wealth, and legalistic self righteousness.
- To deflect from the real attack on the family being the rampant adultery, children in wedlock, divorces and abortions being carried out en-mass, all without censure from the church.
- To bring judgement upon the church for taking away the lives of people. Grave harm has been done.
- The strength and the method of the evil one is through deception instead of a frontal attack of persecuting christians. It lets Christians become the persecutor so that they will be judged, and at the same time be distracted from preaching the Good News.
The bible calls us to beware and be vigilant for the devil walks around like a roaring lion waiting for the prey. And we could only be vigilant if we are humble, preaching the gospel message of salvation, suffering from being persecuted for preaching the Good News, and giving Jesus all the glory, honour and dominion.
Instead of preaching the Good News, we preach the law, we preach hate and put the burden and the yoke of the law upon the innocent. How is Jesus glorified and the name of God exalted?
We limit the basic rights of the most despised minority forgetting that our rights are intertwined! If we want the right to preach the Gospel to the nations, even to the peoples of neigbouring countries, we need the freedom of religion.
When we deny others, basic freedom, we too loose our freedom. The truth of the Gospel is forsaken and the peoples don’t hear our preaching because they only hear our anti-gay rethoric which they know very well is just plain animosity and hatred.
The world will know us by what we are against instead of by our love, and will not see in us the love of Jesus Christ nor His grace and mercy.
Therefore, let us put back the sword which has killed many innocent gay gentle lambs, and proclaim God’s truth and grace to a world that need the way back to God through Jesus Christ that abundant life may flow to the nations.
Before Singapore looses the calling to be the Antioch to Asia, let us stand down, and do good instead of harm, love instead of condemnation, proclaiming God’s grace instead of religious laws. Then they will know that we are of Christ and will glorify God who sent us into this world, to be light and salt.